© CalverleyInfo 2001-2014 - all rights reserved. This page last updated October 17, 2012

A History of Pudsey by Simeon Rayner




One of our great English poets has said, "The proper study of mankind is man." If this be true, then in this chapter we are engaged in a proper study, while looking into the names and characters of some of our townsmen who have risen, by either worth or wealth, to positions of eminence. The study of biography is always, more or less, interesting and instructive. "God hath been pleased, " says Dr. Geo. Hickes, in a sermon in 1682, "to make our country (Yorkshire) the birth-place and nursery, of many great men." What may be said of the whole may be said of many of our towns and villages who have their worthies or eminent men. It has been the aim of the writer to collect the names of the local worthies or eminent men who have been connected with his native town either by birth, long residence, or other close connection with the place.
The first names that we find in history in connection with the township of Pudsey, are those of two Saxon Thanes, DUNSTAN and STAINULF, who held the lands in Pudsey between them, before the time of William the Conqueror.

RICHARD DE PUDSEY was the founder of the ancient Pudsey family, whose descendants are living unto this day.

GREGORY DE PUDSEY, the son of Richard, gave 18 acres of land in Pudsey to Kirkstall Abbey, viz., 10 near Ferneley-brooke, and eight in one assart, with a toft and garden.

ROGER DE PUDSEY, son of Gregory, gave to the same Monastery two and a half acres of land in Pudsey. Roger had a son called THOMAS, who gave to the same Abbey as assart in the wood near Farnley River or Brooke. His son was
GEOFFREY DE PUDSEY, who also gave to Kirkstall Abbey an ancient messuage, garden, and three acres of land with common-right in Pudsey, which messuage was probably the Mansion House of the family, because his son and heir, Simon de Pudsey was married to Katherine, daughter and heiress of John, Lord of Bolton, near Gisburn in Craven, to which place he removed, temp., Ed. II., 1307 to 1327, and from him there is a full pedigree of the family in THORESBY'S Ducatus, and also in FOSTER'S Pedigrees of Yorkshire Families.

Adam SAMPSON de Pudsey gave five acres of land in Pudsey, in 1280, to Kirkstall Abbey, and his son Walter SAMPSON, gave with his corpse an annuity of 2s. issuing out of lands here. He also gave one meadow with all his lands in Grimflat. This Walter was one of the few persons who were honoured with burial in the Abbey.

Tempest MILNER, son of Samuel Milner, of Pudsey, was a Citizen and Merchant Taylor and Alderman of London. He purchased the Manor of Pudsey and estates there from Henry Calverley, and Joyce, his wife, in 1649, and reconveyed them to Henry Calverley, in 1650. He had a son, John Milner, who was English Consul at Lisbon, in Portugal.
Robert MILNER, brother of Tempest, purchased the Manor of Pudsey and estates there from Walter Calverley, in 1663.
John MILNER, son of Robert, was the next Lord of the Manor, and he was one of the witnesses who signed the will of Elk. Wales, at Leeds, in 1669. This John Milner, who died in 1710-11, had a son John who was an M.D. He died in 1724.

Elkanah WALES, M.A., who was born at Idle, in 1588, and after a course of studies at Trinity College, Cambridge, terminating in 1609, he accepted the poor curacy of Pudsey Chapel, about the year 1614.

Rev. James SALE was the son of Mr. James Sale, of Pudsey, where he was born in 1619. He was a companion and great comfort to old Mr. Wales, with whom her served as a son in the Gospel. He was educated at the University of Cambridge.

Rev. Richard HUTTON, of Pudsey, who was the great grandson of Dr. Matthew Hutton, Archbishop of York; grandson of Sir Thomas Hutton, of Poppleton; and the son of Richard Hutton, Esq., and his wife Dorothy, daughter of Ferdinand Viscount Fairfax, Baron of Cameron in Scotland and Denton in Yorkshire. "Mr. Richard Hutton and Beatrix Sale" were married at Calverley Church, October 27th 1682. Mr. Hutton was buried there July 28th 1708, and his widow was buried July 23rd 1709. They were buried in the south aisle, and their broken tombstone is near to the tombstone of Mr. Sale.
Richard HUTTON, Esq., of Pudsey, son of the above-named Richard Hutton, married at Hopton, Mary, the daughter of the Rev. Richard Thorpe, one of the ejected ministers, a man of property, and then a nonconformist minister at Hopton. This Mrs. Mary Hutton, of Pudsey, died in 1723, and was buried at Calverley Church, December 14th.

Richard THORNTON, Esq., of Tiersal, Pudsey, was Recorder of Leeds, and a celebrated antiquary. THORESBY, in his History of Leeds, styles him "the learned, ingenious, and pious Richard Thornton, Esq., the excellent Recorder of Leeds, Heir male of the ancient Family of the Thorntons, of Thornton and Tyersall, whose noble collection of manuscripts has been of singular advantage unto me in this undertaking, and yet the benefit received from his personal instruction and assistance has been infinitely more." Then follows a full pedigree of the family. He died in October, 1710, aged 51, and was buried at St. John's Church, Leeds. He had a son, John Thornton, Esq., of Tyersall, who was also a merchant at Hamburgh.

Richard HEY, drysalter of Pudsey, was the son of John Hey, of Pudsey, and was born in the year 1702. He married Mary, the daughter and co-heiress of Mr. Jacob Simpson, a surgeon in Leeds, whose father was a physician in Wakefield. She was descended from the Sykes family, and the pedigree of the family may be seen in THORESBY'S History of Leeds, and also may that of Mr. Hey's family, at page 3. It is recorded that Mr. And Mrs. Hey paid such attention to the instilling of good principles, that very serious offences among their children were rare, and whilst he impressed upon his children, with peculiar energy, his own nice sense of right and wrong, he intermixed with it a degree of prudential consideration. His strict integrity was so well known that he was frequently spoken of as "Honest Mr. Hey." He was a zealous Churchman, and paid much respect to the clergy, and he contributed liberally towards increasing the endowment of the Old Chapel of Pudsey, in 1733. His illness must have been of short duration, as I find that he attended a town's committee meeting as overseer of the poor, on the 1st of the same month. Mrs. Hey died on the 19th of May, 1768. They had a family of eight children, and all their sons who lived to manhood received honourable titles, and became eminent men in their several spheres of labour. Their children were:-- 1st, Rebecca, bap. March 10, 1730-1, who married the Rev. William Holmes, vicar of Thorner, curate of Knottingley and Ferry Fryston, and Master of the Free School at Pontefract. 2nd, Richard, bap. Sep., 1732, who died young. 3rd, John Hey, D.D., bap. Aug. 1, 1734. 4th, William Hey, F.R.S., bap Aug. 16, 1736. 5th, Samuel Hey, M.A., bap. March 28, 1739. 6th, Dorothy, bap. April 9, 1741, who married Mr. John Radcliffe, of Pudsey, drysalter. 7th, Sarah, bap. April 15, 1743, who married Mr. John Sharp, of Gildersome, drysalter. 8th, Richard Hey, L.L.D., bap. In September 1745.
John HEY, D.D., the second, but eldest surviving son of Mr. Richard Hey, of Pudsey, was born in July, 1734, and when between nine and ten years of age was sent, along with his younger brother William, to an academy at Heath, near Wakefield, which was superintended by a gentleman of highly respectable character, and an eminent mathematician, Mr. Joseph Randall, who conducted it upon a large and liberal, though somewhat expensive plan. The Rev. Dr. Dodgson, afterwards Bishop of Elphin, and the Rev. Mr. Sedgewick, afterwards headmaster of the Free Grammar School at Leeds, were classical tutors. When seventeen years of age, in 1751, he went to the University at Cambridge, where he was admitted of Katherine Hall, and he continued a member of that college till 1758, when he removed to a Fellowship in Sidney Sussex College, of which college he continued a member till he quitted the University in 1795. We may form some estimate of the assiduity with which he pursued his studies when we are informed that before he was twenty-one years of age he had taken his degree of B.A. of Katherine Hall; and when twenty-four his degree of M.A. of Sidney College, viz., in 1758. He took the degree of B.D. in 1765, and D.D. in 1780. But in 1775 he performed his exercise for his doctor's degree, in which he gave (says his brother Richard) an instance of that mode of disputation which is not usual, and is called a Public Act. He was a tutor of Sidney College from 1760 to 1779, and he was one of the preachers of His Majesty's Chapel at Whitehall. Lord Maynard offered him the rectory of Pasenham, in Northamptonshire, near Stony Stratford, which he accepted and immediately vacated his Fellowship in Sidney College. Not long afterwards, he obtained the adjoining rectory of Calverton, Bucks, by exchange for one offered to him by the Earl of Clarendon, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster. In 1780, he was elected the first Norrisian Professor of Divinity in the University. In 1785, and again in 1790, the professorship became
vacant by the will of the founder, Mr. Norris, and he was each time re-elected. In 1795, he ceased to be a professor, being to old, by the will, to be re-elected, and having declined to vacate the professorship, in 1794, in order to be re-elected within the prescribed age. When tutor in Sidney College, he gave lectures on Morality, which were attended by several persons voluntarily (amongst whom were the great statesman, Mr. Pitt, and other persons of rank), besides to those pupils whose attendance was required. These lectures on Morality have not been printed, but his lectures on Divinity are before the public, having been printed at the University Press, 1796 to 1798, and, published in four volumes, octavo. These lectures have passed through three editions; the last edition was published in 1841, and was edited by Bishop Turton, of Ely. In 1811 he printed - without publishing - "General Observations on the Writings of St. Paul." On an application for a copy of the latter work, made to him through a nephew (Mr. Sharp), the author wrote the following peculiar answer, a copy of which I have in the hand-writing of the applicant -

Mr. Dodd does me Honor; but I think you must tell him that I do not publish, or take money for my Observations on St. Paul, being unwilling to unsettle any one's notions: that I have printed only a small number, and at a very considerable Expence, and so am obliged to be very stingy of my copies, and to lay down Rules to myself about the Disposal of them. One is not to give a Copy to any one who can easily borrow one. Now; as Mr. Dodd lives in London, he might, by using my name, borrow a Copy of Mr. Richard Twining, Junior, No. 34 Norfolk Street, Strand. I give to no Bishop, to no Curate, to no Female (Mrs. West excepted, for particular Reasons, and as an Authoress), to no Young Person in a Course of Education, to no Calvinist, semi or quarter Calvinist, to no one without his consenting to hazard his principles - and so on.

In 1812, he published a pamphlet entitled -
"Remarks on a Bill in Parliament respecting Parish Registers, "and at page 22 he refers to the "village of Pudsey, where is a capital Establishment of Moravians; besides several thousands of inhabitants of all denominations."

In the year 1814; he divested himself of the whole of his ecclesiastical preferments, which were merely the two livings mentioned before. He removed to London in October, having resigned the living at Calverton at Lady Day, and Passenham on the 10th of October. From that time he continued in London, until his death; growing feeble in body, till, without painful disease, he sunk under that feebleness, retaining to the last a soundness of mind, and giving to every business that came before him a remarkable degree of that careful attention, which had evidently been with him a matter of strict duty throughout a long course of years. He died on the 17th of March 1815, aged eighty years, and was buried in the burial-ground of St. John's Chapel, St. John's Wood, Marylebone, in which parish he died.
William HEY, Esq., F.R.S., an eminent surgeon, of Leeds, was the second surviving son of Mr. Richard HEY, of Pudsey, and was born in August 1736. At seven years of age, he was sent to school near Wakefield, along with his elder brother John, and during the seven years that he remained at school, he applied himself to his studies with great diligence and industry, and thus acquired a vast amount of useful knowledge. He displayed a great love of learning and science, which increased with his years, and was conspicuous through every subsequent period of his life. At fourteen years of age, he was apprenticed to a surgeon and apothecary at Leeds, where he acquitted himself with great credit. In 1759, he commenced the exercise of his profession in Leeds, and slowly and gradually rose to the very highest position, as a skilful surgeon, a Christian philanthropist, and a worthy citizen. In scientific matters, he was intimately associated with Dr. Priestley, on whose recommendation he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1775. He took a very active part in the formation of the Leeds Infirmary, and was appointed one of the surgeons, an office which he held for forty-five years, thirty-nine of which he was the senior surgeon. On the formation of a Leeds Philosophical Society in 1783, Mr. Hey was elected president, and read many valuable papers to the members. In 1786, he was elected an alderman of the borough of Leeds, and in the following year was appointed Mayor. He was again elected Mayor in 1802. This eminent man died on the 23rd of March, 1819, full of honours, and at the advanced age of 83. He was buried at St. Paul's Church, Leeds, and his funeral was attended by a great number of friends and fellow-townsmen. The death of Mr. Hey was an event deeply felt and sincerely lamented throughout the borough of Leeds. A full length marble statue of Mr. Hey (by Chantrey) was afterwards erected by the subscriptions of his fellow-townsmen, and is placed in the Leeds General Infirmary.
Samuel HEY, M.A., was the brother of the preceding Hey's. He was born on the 16th of March, 1739, and was educated at Cambridge, where he attained his B.A.,, and afterwards, his M.A., degrees. He was elected Fellow and Tutor of Magdalene College, Cambridge. He was afterwards vicar of Steeple Ashton, in Wiltshire; and Dr. Whitaker says of him, that he was "an excellent parish priest." He left a benefaction of £50 to the Leeds Infirmary, with this condition attached to it, that the Church minister at Pudsey should for ever have a right to recommend patients, equal to a subscriber of two guineas annually.
Richard HEY, Esq., L.L.D., was the youngest son of Mr. Richard Hey, of Pudsey. He was born on the 22nd of August, 1745. He, too, like his other brothers, was educated at Cambridge, and when twenty-two years of age, took his degree of B.A., as third wrangler of Magdalene College, obtaining also the Chancellor's first gold medal and the Smith Prize. Three years afterwards he took his M.A., of Sidney College, and in the same years, viz., 1771, in November, he was called to the Bar, in the Middle Temple; and with a view to the practice at Doctors' Commons, he took the degree of L.L.D., in December, 1778, of Sidney Sussex College; and he obtained in the same year the fiat of the Archbishop of Canterbury for his admission into Doctors' Commons. However, as a barrister he did not succeed, so he retired from the Bar. He was a Fellow and Tutor of Sidney Sussex College till 1778; and afterwards of Magdalene College from 1782 to 1796. He was also elected one of the Esquire Bedells. He married the daughter of Thomas Brown, Esq., of Hatfield, Herts, Garter-Principal King-at-Arms, who died without issue. He died on December 7th, 1835, at Heringfordbury, near Hertford, in the 91st year of his age, being the last surviving son of Mr. Richard Hey, of Pudsey.

John RYLEY was an eminent mathematician, and was teacher of mathematics, etc., at Leeds, for a long period of years. He was born at All-Cotes, Pudsey, on the 30th of November, 1747. He received at an early age such a common education as the school of his native village afforded, and was afterwards employed at home, in the joint occupation of husbandman and cloth manufacturer; spending his leisure hours diligently in the stuffy of the various branches of mathematical science. So assiduous and successful was his application, that he was sufficiently qualified for engaging as mathematical teacher at the Drighlington Grammar School, a situation which he held with great credit for upwards of a year; then, yielding to the solicitations of his friends, he opened a school at Pudsey, where he received a good share of that encouragement which his abilities entitled him to expect. He afterwards obtained an excellent situation as schoolmaster at Beeston, where he remained for thirteen years, and won the respect of all who were brought in contact with him. In 1789, the situation of head-master of the Charity School in Leeds became vacant, and Mr. Ryley, being highly recommended for the position, received the appointment, and held it with distinguished ability until his death, which took place on the 24th of April, 1815, in the 69th year of his age. He was one of the originators and the first editor of a "Literary, Mathematical, and Philosophical Miscellany," called "The Leeds Correspondent," until his death. He also compiled a "History of Leeds and the Neighbouring Villages," published in 1808.

John EDWARDS was born at Fulneck, Pudsey, on December 5th, 1772. He was the son of a shoemaker, and when young learned the trade of a shalloon weaver. He removed to Derby, where he was engaged in the spirit trade. He was an estimable man and a pleasing poet. His first publication was "All Saints' Church, Derby," a blank verse composition, 1805; his next - "The Tour of the Dove; or, a Visit to Dovedale," published in 1821. Smaller pieces appeared from his pen afterwards, as "Recollections of Filey," etc.

Rev. Joseph SUTCLIFFE, M.A., an eminent Wesleyan minister, was a working man at Pudsey, when at twenty-two years of age, he was in 1784 appointed a class-leader and local preacher, and in 1786 he was sent from Pudsey by Mr. Wesley to labour in the Redruth circuit. He was a useful and honoured Wesleyan minister for the long period of seventy years, and died May 14th, 1856, aged 94 years. He had creditable literary attainments, was an excellent grammarian, an admirable sermonizer, a pious and intelligent commentator, and a respectable geologist. He was the author of several useful works.

Rev. Michael MAURICE, Junr. - In the Old Chapel graveyard (All Saints', Pudsey) there is a tomb-stone to mark the resting-place of a "Mr. Maurice, an orthodox dissenting minister." This was the father of Michael Maurice, who was a man of real worth. Michael Maurice was born at Pudsey in the year 1767. His father, it is said, was a man of serious mind, and his son's preparation for the ministry was made under a deep sense of responsibility.
Mr. Maurice's first settlement as a minister was at Great Yarmouth; but it does not appear that his stay here was long, for soon after the Birmingham riots, when Dr. Priestley had to fly for his life to London, Mr. Maurice was invited to take the afternoon duty at the Gravel Pit Chapel, Hackney, and he soon became intimately associated with the great Dr. Priestley. It is mentioned as an interesting fact in his history, that he assisted the Dr. in packing his books and philosophical apparatus when the latter took farewell of his ungrateful country. Mr. Maurice did not remain with the Hackney congregation long after Dr. Priestley's departure for America. He removed to Kirby, where he opened a school, which proved most successful. But in this secluded place there was no temple in which he could consistently worship. - At this little village was born, in the year 1805, his son Frederick D. Maurice, who became the great Professor Maurice, of King's College, London. Professor Maurice is the author of many valuable works on theology and metaphysics, his great work - "The Religions of the World", still keeps its place in the literature of England. From Kirby, for what reason does not appear, Mr. Maurice went to Lowestoft, in Suffolk, a town of little promise, yet connected with the gloomy early history of Crabbe, the poet, and of which the upright though eccentric Whiston was once vicar. Mr. Maurice's predecessor in the Lowestoft pulpit was the learned and amiable Thomas Scott, the poetical translator of the book of Job. Here Mr. Maurice spent several years of usefulness, but in 1815 he was chosen minister to the small but respectable congregation at Frenchey, a pretty hamlet near Bristol. The chapel at Frenchey stood on a pleasant common, though there were many genteel houses in the vicinity of the chapel. In this beautiful retirement, with plenty of work to do, Mr. Maurice stayed till the year 1824. His son, F.D. Maurice, who was a man of great learning, married twice, and both times remarkably gifted women. The first was sister to John Sterling; the poet; the second was a sister to Sterling's friend Hare, and was also a lady very distinguished in the literary world. Mr. Michael Maurice's other children went with him to Sidmouth, Southampton, Reading, and final to London. It is said that Mr. Maurice was a fine speaker, and had a remarkable command of language. It is also said he was always heard with pleasure as a preacher. Mr. Maurice was a thorough advocate of civil and religious equality. He was associated with Clarkson and Macaulay (the father of Lord Macaulay, the historian), in their work of slavery abolition. Among his friends in the world of literature were Mrs. Barbauld, Coleridge, Samuel Rogers, Dr. Price, and others. He lived a good life and was a man of high culture, with an open mind for all good, and retained his mental faculties to the last. He died near London in 1855, at the advanced age of eighty-eight. *

* This notice is contributed by Mr. Thompson, of Pudsey

Lepton DOBSON Esq., of Grove House, Pudsey, occupied with distinguished honour the position of Mayor of Leeds in 1821. It was during his mayoralty that it was resolved to pull down the Middle Row in Briggate. It was Mr. Dobson who succeeded, after others had failed, in laying the foundation of an agreement with the Vicar of Leeds, which led to the institution of the Free Market in Vicar's Croft, which PARSON'S History of Leeds says, was "one of the most signal and beneficial improvements every accomplished in the town of Leeds." The first stone of the Central Market in Duncan Street, Leeds, was laid by Lepton Dobson, on the 26th November, 1824, as also was that of the Commercial Buildings, on May 18th, 1826. One of the ancestors of Lepton Dobson was
Joseph LEPTON, who also deserves a place in our list of eminent townsmen. He was one of the first trustees of the Nonconformist Chapel, erected in 1709, at the top of Chapeltown, Pudsey, and he left by Will, dated 1715, a field, called Dick Royd in Pudsey, the rent of which, after deducting $3 a year for a dissenting minister settled in Pudsey, was to be given to the poor who do not receive parish relief. He was brother-in-law to Richard Hey, drysalter, having married Dorothy, the daughter of Mr. John Hey, of Pudsey. He died in 1716, at Little Gomersal, having appointed John Hey, of Pudsey, his father-in-law, and Jonas Thornton, of Horton, his executors.

Lieut. John CARR, a native of Pudsey, born June 2nd, 1798. When seventeen years of age, he joined the army, and rose from the ranks to be Lieutenant and Adjutant of the 2nd Regiment of Life Guards; was personally complimented for his abilities in maneuvering troops by His Majesty the King. Served in the Life Guards for the space of twenty-four years in the most zealous and exemplary manner. Died from the result of an accident, much respected, June 6th, 1839, aged 41 years, and was interred in the Holy Trinity Church, Brompton, London.

Samuel RYLEY, mathematician, was the son of Mr. Joseph Ryley, of All-Cotes, Pudsey. He was born in 1783, and from his boyhood took the greatest interest in arithmetical and mathematical studies. He was instructed by his uncle Mr. John Ryley, and showed himself a worth pupil. He contributed to some of the mathematical periodicals of his time. He died on the 16th of May, 1847, aged 64 years, and was buried in the burial ground of Pudsey Church.

William HUGGAN, was born in 1802, and after learning the art of cloth-making, carried on a successful business during a long life. In township matters he was a faithful public servant, for at various times, through a long period of years, he filled local offices with credit to himself and satisfaction to his fellow townsmen. Every movement which had for its object the improvement of society, the extension of freedom, whether civil or religious, had his countenance and hearty support. Institutions for the diffusion of knowledge and the spread of instruction amongst the young were benefited by his liberal and generous donations. He will be long remembered, not only for the many sterling qualities he consistently exhibited, his unswerving adherence to principle, and the unblemished character he maintained, but also for his high sense of public duties and the obligations of the citizen, all of which he discharged in an honourable and worthy manner. He held the office of overseer of the poor for many years, and previously had held the office of guardian for several years, and for the three years prior to his death he was one of the councilors of the Bramley Ward in the Leeds Town Council. Mr. Huggan died on the 6th day of December, 1869, and was interred at the Independent Methodist Chapel, Lowtown, Pudsey.

The Right Rev. Charles Parsons REICHEL, was born at Fulneck, in 1816. He was the son of a Moravian minister, but his ancestors have been, with the above exception, Lutheran clergymen, so far back as the Thirty Years' War. In 1835 he became a member of the University of Berlin, where he studied Hebrew, Syriac, and Arabic, together with Ecclesiastical History and New Testament Exegesis. In 1838 he returned to England, and graduated at Trinity College, Dublin, where he gained a classical scholarship, and took a gold medal in Greek, first Hebrew premium at seven examinations, and was first in the first class at the final Divinity examination in 1846. He was then ordained deacon in 1847; appointed to a curacy at St. Mary's, Dublin, which he resigned three years afterwards on being appointed Professor of Latin at Queen's College, Belfast. In 1854 he was chosen Donnellan Lecturer at Dublin University. These lectures are now out of print, and he has been Select Preacher at the Universities of Oxford, Cambridge, and Dublin; in the latter University holding the office twice. In 1856 he was created D.D. by the University of Dublin, and in 1864 accepted the vicarage of Mullingar at the hands of the Crown, where he remained until he was transferred to Trim and the Archdeaconry of Meath in 1875. Dr. Reichel was appointed Dean of Clonmacnois, and he acted as Commissioner for his Grace, the Lord Primate, in which capacity he carried on the affairs of the diocese of Meath, in the interregnum that elapsed after the death of Dr. Butcher, and at the election of Dr. Plunket, now Lord Archbishop of Dublin, the present Bishop himself received a large number of votes, especially from the laity. On Lord Plunket's election of 1885, Dr. Reichel was elected to the See. He was one of the three Select Preachers at the late Church Congress at Wakefield. *

*This sketch has been contributed by the Rev. R.V. Taylor, B.A. See also sketches of Dr. Reichel in Church Bells, No. 721, and Men of the Time. 1887.

John T. BEER, F.S.A.S., F.R.S.T., Threapland House, Pudsey. He was born at Whitstable, in Kent, in the year 1825, and received his early training in the British School of that place. At twelve years of age he was removed to Maidstone, and began working life as an errand boy, subsequently learning the trade of a tailor with his father. He worked at his trade in London, and as a foreman at Retford and Sheffield, and while in Retford was married to a daughter of Mr. William Pennington, a worthy burgess of that ancient borough. In 1857, he commenced business on his own account in Leeds, at the instigation of the late Dr. Punshon. During his business career, he devoted much attention to studies of an intellectual character, and was frequently engaged giving lectures on physiological, scientific, and equally solid subjects. Poetry also, found in him a devoted admirer, and he wooed the Muse himself on may occasions. +
Mr. Beer was connected with the Cambridge University Extension scheme on its introduction into Leeds, and was the President of the Students' Union during the three years of its existence. Before this Union he gave lectures on the Transit of Venus, Comets and Shooting Stars, and the Moon. He is also President of the Bradford Scientific Association; before which he has lectured on "Changes in the Coast-line of Kent," the "Motions of the Moon," "Past and present History of the Moon," "Solar Physics," etc. He has also been engaged for many years in pursuits of an antiquarian character, having thereby acquired an important and valuable collection of Roman and other pottery, coins, old china, rare books, etc. Mr. Beer has been untiring in his efforts on behalf of the Mechanics' Institute and other associations, religious and philanthropic, of Pudsey. For upwards of twenty years Mr. Beer has been closely connected with the Wesleyan Church in Pudsey, formerly as a local preacher, and since, as the teacher of the Adult Class which at the present time numbers over forty members. In 1871, he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature, and also of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland.

+ For list of Mr. Beer's writings, see Chapter on the Bibliography of Pudsey.

John NAYLOR, Mus. Doc., Oxford. This talented musician was born at Stanningley, at which time his father was clerk of St. Paul's Church, Leeds (a very important position forty years ago). It is said of the elder Naylor that "he possessed a fine, rich-toned bass voice, with which he used to astonish the congregation occasionally, when holding out the low note in one of the responses or the Amens. He was a good-natured, genial man, and his company was much sought after by music-loving friends. Young Naylor received his earliest musical training as a choir-boy at the Parish Church, Leeds; the first year and a half of which time Dr. S.S. Wesley was the organist. He was afterwards deputy-organist there until 1856, when, at seventeen and a half years of age, he was appointed by Dr. Whiteside to the organistship and choirmastership of the parish church of Scarborough. This position he held until 1873, when he was appointed organist of All Saints', Scarborough; and in 1883 he was promoted to the valuable and much-coveted post of organist and choirmaster of York Minster.

Nelson VARLEY was born in 1846, the son of Richard Varley, of Stanningley. He was apprenticed in his youth to Mr. Nicholson, organ builder, of Bradford, but long before his indentures were out, he had shown himself to be possessed of a tenor voice of fine quality and power. Encouraged by some friends at Bradford, Mr. Varley, on the expiration of his apprenticeship, was taken in hand by Chevalier Lemmens, to whom he engaged himself for five years, and under whose direction he was first introduced to the public at the Crystal Palace, with a success which was in the highest degree gratifying. He accompanied Madame Sherrington and a "concert party" through the provincial towns four or five years in succession, and both in the country and in London made good his early promise. Mr. Varley also accompanied Madame Rudersdorf to America, where his success was even greater than in England. After being in America rather more than a year, he returned to this country, and, with his wife (Mdlle. Theresa Liebe), fulfilled many successful engagements. Mr. Varley died at Cardiff, on the 2nd of December, 1883, at the age of 37.

Robert SALTER. Born in 1817 in very humble circumstances, the subject of our sketch became one of the brightest examples of the class of citizens who raise themselves from obscurity to positions of wealth and respect. He was a man of almost retiring disposition; shunned all ostentation, but he had great business tact and ability, and those qualities of honesty and integrity, which build up a solid and permanent commercial concern. His prosperity and great success in business did not, as is too often the case, harden his heart, or tighten his purse strings, for, throughout his life, he had a large tender heart and a generous disposition, which prompted him to do many a benevolent action unknown to those around him. In 1854 Mr. Salter commenced business with Mr. W.D. Scales, in Pudsey, the purchase money of the business being $300, a large proportion of which was borrowed. This was during the time of the Crimean War, and for three years trade was very bad, and after this lapse of time the firm found they had not a penny left. Thanks to their honourable business transactions, this time of trial and difficulty was overcome, and a change for the better took place. The firm grew and prospered, and ultimately became one of the largest firms in the county in the wholesale boot and shoe trade. Much of this success was due to Mr. Salter, whose integrity, knowledge, skill and energy in the mechanical department had no small share in building up the very extensive and successful business of this important firm. Mr. Salter was a Liberal in politics, and a Congregationalist in religion. He was elected a member of the first Local Board of Health in Pudsey, but resigned his seat on his removal to Underwood Villa, Rawden, in 1875. He was thrice married, and left a widow and a son, Mr. Joseph Salter, the Oaks, Newlay; and daughter, Mrs. Driver, Croft House, Rickardshaw Lane; and two grandsons, children of a son who had been dead several years.

John Holmes WALKER, C.E., was the only son of Mr. Joseph Walker, chemist, of Pudsey, and was born in 1855. From a child he was devoted to study and learning. He evinced great aptitude for scientific knowledge --- sanitary engineering, electricity, and cognate subjects being favourite objects of study with him. After a successful school life, he was articled to a civil engineer, and pursued his scientific studies in the evening. He eventually qualified himself as a civil engineer, and became an Associate of the Society of Engineers. He became one of the most active members of the Bradford Scientific Association, frequently reading papers before that body, one of the ablest being on "Various forces of energy." When 21 years old, he was the second out of 108 candidates, in an examination (twenty subjects) for the position of Assistant Civil Engineer to the Admiralty, and was informed that had he been five years older, he would have received the appointment. He subsequently was appointed electrical engineer to Messrs. Bower and Son, St. Neots. In a short time afterwards he fell a victim to excessive study and overwork, and at 24 years of age the bright promise of a very clever and useful life was for every eclipsed. He lingered for five years in deep mental affliction, and died on Sunday, the 11th of April, 1866, deeply regretted by every one who knew him and esteemed him, for his kind and good nature, as well as for his brilliant mental qualities.

John Hyland CLOUGH. This gentleman was born at Fulneck in 1814, and commenced business as a grocer at Horsforth in 1840. Here he occupied a seat on the Board of Guardians, and was much respected. He went to Stockton in 1855, where he commenced business as a provision merchant, and was prosperous. He took a warm interest in the progress and welfare of his adopted town, and for seventeen years represented the South-West Ward in the Town Council. In November, 1876, he was elected Mayor of the borough. Mr. Clough departed this life on the 23rd day of April, 1878.

Richard WOMERSLEY. As a public servant, this gentleman held a deservedly high position, and at his death, which took place on the 13th of December 1878, Pudsey lost one of its most useful inhabitants. He filled at various times several offices in the management of the business of the town, both with credit to himself and advantage to the township. He was the first chairman of the Burial Board, and took a most active part in securing the new cemetery. For a long time he served on the directorate of the Gas, Water, and other local Companies, where his sound judgment and strict integrity always commanded respect. He was one of the two trustees of the Christmas dole, known as Lepton's Charity, which is given to the poor annually. He was well-known as a moderate Liberal in politics, and took an active part in both local and general political organisations. In religion he was a Congregationalist, and took an active interest in the formation of the Congregational Day School, Greenside, in 1853, and was one of its principal supporters until it was transferred to the School Board. He was also a trustee, and for a long period the treasurer, of the Congregational Church. Mr. Womersley was born at Hill Foot, in Calverley, in 1813.

P.A. STRICKLAND, A.C.O., though not a native of Pudsey, was so much connected with the town and its music, that no apology need be offered for this brief memoir. He was born at Farsley on July 13th, 1858, and was the eldest son of Mr. Abraham Strickland of that village. His father being a musician, young Peter early became acquainted with the rudiments of the art, and evinced a great desire to learn more. When he was eleven years of age, he was admitted as a chorister at St. Thomas Church, Stanningley, under the late Mr. Joseph Varley Roberts, brother of Dr. Roberts, now organist of Christ Church, Oxford. Two years later, Mr. Abraham Strickland was appointed Choirmaster at St. Paul's Church, Pudsey and Peter went to join his father. In a very short time he became the principal treble singer, and could without difficulty sing solos from most of the oratorios. In 1874, when he was only 15 years of age, he began to compose music, his hymn tunes - one in particular - being often sung in the church. He knew nothing of the theory of harmony at this time, yet the harmony of the favourite tune was so good, that it was not found possible to improve upon it in later years. He had been for some time learning the organ, under the able tutorship of F.W. Hird, Esq., (then organist of St. Peter's, Bramley), and made such progress that he received the appointment of organist at Rodley Mission Church. He also studied the pianoforte, and became so proficient that his services were very much in request for local concerts, etc. In 1878, when seventeen years of age, he left the Mission Church to devote the whole of his time to music, and succeeding in obtaining the position of organist at the Wesleyan Chapel, Stanningley, which post he held four years, when he was promoted to Rawden Church. At the Society of Arts Examination in July 1882, he was awarded first-class Certificates for organ and pianoforte playing, and took a Second-class Honors Certificate. In 1883, he entered the examination of the College of Organists, London, and on July 20th of that year, received his diploma as an Associate. In the same year he was appointed, after competition, to succeed Mr. A. Renton, an organist and choirmaster at Pudsey Parish Church, and he held the position up to his death. In 1883, also, he was made conductor of the Pudsey Choral Union. He was the composer of a large number of hymn tunes and choruses, which have been published and well received. Besides these, he has left, in manuscript, at least forty part-songs, duets, songs, etc. Three of the principal published songs are "Love for Evermore," "Years may come and years may go," and "Something More," the words of each of these being supplied by the well-known writer, Edward Oxenford. Two dramatic cantatas "The Crusaders," and "The Knight's Guerdon," both works of some promise, were unfortunately left unfinished.
In 1883, a tumour grew on his left arm, which, though brought before several medical men, grew worse. He was recommended to go to St. George's Hospital, London, where on April 18th, 1884, the limb was amputated. The shock proved too much for him, and he died a few hours after the operation, at the early age of 25. His remains were brought to Pudsey and interred in the cemetery. About 400 persons, including 40 of his pupils, took part in the funeral; full choral services, with the assistance of the Pudsey Choral Society, were held in the Parish Church and at the grave. His happiest moments were when he was composing, and he thought little of losing his arm, being confident of making his living as a composer. His death was much regretted. A fine monument has been erected - by subscription - to his memory. *

* This sketch has been contributed my Mr. S. Kirkwood of Stanningley

R. Machill GARTH. - This promising musician was born at Pudsey on the 15th day of October, 1860, his parents being descended from two old and well-known Pudsey families, viz., the Garths of Lowtown and the Machills of Ratcliff House. Young Garth received his early training at the Free Grammar School, Batley, and was a chorister boy at the old church there for two years, when between seven and nine years of age. When only nine years old, he officiated as organist at Batley Church, on the resignation of Mr. Wilkinson, but some time afterwards he became organist at Carlinghow mission church, St. Jame's. He was subsequently appointed as pianist at the Literary and Philosophical Exhibition, Middlesbrough (1873), during which period he was also organist and choirmaster of St. Martin's, and sub-organist of St. Paul's, Middlesbrough. When eighteen years of age, Master Garth was appointed sub-organist of St. Mary's Cathedral, Edinburgh, which post he held for six years, and during two of these years, he also held the posts of private organist to the Right Hon. Sir Molyneux H. Nepean, and the Hon. Sir Edward Colebrooke, Bt., M.P. In January 1885, Mr. Garth was appointed to his present position, as private organist to the Right Hon. Sir Michael Shaw Steward of Ardgowan. For this post there were many applicants, and these were submitted to a contest at the Edinburgh University, with Professor Sir Herbert Oakley, Composer Royal, Scotland, as adjudicator. In September 1885, Mr. Garth was elected a Fellow of the Educational Institute of Scotland, a society incorporated by Royal Charter in 1841. Mr. Garth was of the selected organists who gave recitals on the grand organ at the Edinburgh Exhibition in 1886. He also wrote the Grand March for the Royal Review in 1881.
Mr. Garth has contributed many popular and pleasing compositions to the musical literature of the country. His first composition, at the age of ten, was a set of waltzes, and at eighteen, he published a song, "The Heaving of the Lead," which is very popular in his native county. The work, however, to which we would desire more particularly to refer, is his oratoria, Ezekiel, in forth-three numbers, which has been lately completed, and which has occupied a year and a half to write. The Scottish Guardian, speaking of the first performance of this work, says:
The libretto of the oratorio was compiled by the Rev. C.R. Linton. Both subject and scheme are admirably adapted for effective musical illustration, and the united labours of Compiler and Composer have resulted in a work decidedly origin in character, containing not a few striking passages, and abounding almost to excess in charming melodies.

During the many years in which England was engaged in the great war, which ended at the ever memorable Field of Waterloo, it is somewhat interesting to learn that Pudsey contributed a fair contingent to those who bravely fought and bled in upholding the honour of their country on many a blood field.

George LORYMAN served in the 7th Royal Fusiliers, and was in 19 engagements, viz., Copenhagen (Denmark), Martinique (West Indies), Busaco and Burlado (Portugal), Albuhera, Aldcade Port, Cindad Rodrigo, Badajoz, Fonte du Luy, Salamanca, Mountela, Vittoria, Roncevalles, Pampeluna, Escurial, and Lauze (Spain), Orthes and Toulouse (France) and New Orleans (America). Had a medal with seven clasps and had, the last few years of his life, a pension of 7d. a day. Died at Pudsey, May 15th, 1860, aged 75.

James GIBSON was in the 7th Royal Fusiliers, and was some time a Sergeant; went through the Peninsular Campaign, and was at most of the engagements mentioned above. Had two medals with three clasps for Albuhera, Busaco, and Talavera. Had a pension of 1s. a day. Died at Pudsey, July 30th, 1864, aged 84.

Henry WILCOCK was in the militia from 1807 to 1812, when he joined the Grenadier Guards. Went through Spain and Portugal with Wellington, was at the battles of Nive and Nivelle, and was slightly wounded at Waterloo. He was also one of those who were chosen from the guards as the best and steadiest men to form the Duke of Wellington's guard in Paris, in 1815. Was discharged in 1819, without a pension. In 1854 had a pension of 6d. a day granted, which was increased to 9d. a few months before his death. Died at Pudsey, February 26th, 1862, aged 73.

William VARLEY, born at Pudsey in 1793, was in the 2nd W.Y. militia from 1809 to 1812, when he was made a Corporal in the renowned 33rd Regt. Of Foot, the "Havercake Lads," as they were called in Yorkshire. Was in the following engagements: At Marksom, in Holland, the siege of Antwerp, the storming of Bergen op Zoom and the three days at Waterloo, where he was slightly wounded on the third day; was discharged in 1819, without a pension. Varley died September the 11th, 1872.

William GLOVER, of Lowtown, born at Morley, was in the Militia from 1810 to 1811, when he entered the 30th Regt. of Foot; was engaged in the Rolohas Valleys, at Rodrigo, Badajos, Salamanca, where he was wounded; at Burgos, Vittoria, Pampeluna, the Pyrenees, Orthes, Nive, Neville, Toulouse, and Laville. Had a medal with six clasps, and a pension of 9d. a day.

John BOOCOCK was in the 33rd Regt. and was killed at Bergen op Zoom, March 10th, 1814.

Joshua WHEATER was in the 33rd Regt., was wounded at Bergen op Zoom, and died from the effects, March 31st, 1814.