One of our great English poets has said, "The proper study of mankind
is man." If this be true, then in this chapter we are engaged in
a proper study, while looking into the names and characters of some
of our townsmen who have risen, by either worth or wealth, to positions
of eminence. The study of biography is always, more or less, interesting
and instructive. "God hath been pleased, " says Dr. Geo. Hickes,
in a sermon in 1682, "to make our country (Yorkshire) the birth-place
and nursery, of many great men." What may be said of the whole
may be said of many of our towns and villages who have their worthies
or eminent men. It has been the aim of the writer to collect the names
of the local worthies or eminent men who have been connected with his
native town either by birth, long residence, or other close connection
with the place.
The first names that we find in history in connection with the township
of Pudsey, are those of two Saxon Thanes, DUNSTAN and STAINULF, who
held the lands in Pudsey between them, before the time of William the
RICHARD DE PUDSEY was the founder of the ancient Pudsey family, whose
descendants are living unto this day.
GREGORY DE PUDSEY, the son of Richard, gave 18 acres of land in Pudsey
to Kirkstall Abbey, viz., 10 near Ferneley-brooke, and eight in one
assart, with a toft and garden.
ROGER DE PUDSEY, son of Gregory, gave to the same Monastery two and
a half acres of land in Pudsey. Roger had a son called THOMAS, who gave
to the same Abbey as assart in the wood near Farnley River or Brooke.
His son was
GEOFFREY DE PUDSEY, who also gave to Kirkstall Abbey an ancient messuage,
garden, and three acres of land with common-right in Pudsey, which messuage
was probably the Mansion House of the family, because his son and heir,
Simon de Pudsey was married to Katherine, daughter and heiress of John,
Lord of Bolton, near Gisburn in Craven, to which place he removed, temp.,
Ed. II., 1307 to 1327, and from him there is a full pedigree of the
family in THORESBY'S Ducatus, and also in FOSTER'S Pedigrees of Yorkshire
Adam SAMPSON de Pudsey gave five acres of land in Pudsey, in 1280, to
Kirkstall Abbey, and his son Walter SAMPSON, gave with his corpse an
annuity of 2s. issuing out of lands here. He also gave one meadow with
all his lands in Grimflat. This Walter was one of the few persons who
were honoured with burial in the Abbey.
Tempest MILNER, son of Samuel Milner, of Pudsey, was a Citizen and Merchant
Taylor and Alderman of London. He purchased the Manor of Pudsey and
estates there from Henry Calverley, and Joyce, his wife, in 1649, and
reconveyed them to Henry Calverley, in 1650. He had a son, John Milner,
who was English Consul at Lisbon, in Portugal.
Robert MILNER, brother of Tempest, purchased the Manor of Pudsey and
estates there from Walter Calverley, in 1663.
John MILNER, son of Robert, was the next Lord of the Manor, and he was
one of the witnesses who signed the will of Elk. Wales, at Leeds, in
1669. This John Milner, who died in 1710-11, had a son John who was
an M.D. He died in 1724.
Elkanah WALES, M.A., who was born at Idle, in 1588, and after a course
of studies at Trinity College, Cambridge, terminating in 1609, he accepted
the poor curacy of Pudsey Chapel, about the year 1614.
Rev. James SALE was the son of Mr. James Sale, of Pudsey, where he was
born in 1619. He was a companion and great comfort to old Mr. Wales,
with whom her served as a son in the Gospel. He was educated at the
University of Cambridge.
Rev. Richard HUTTON, of Pudsey, who was the great grandson of Dr. Matthew
Hutton, Archbishop of York; grandson of Sir Thomas Hutton, of Poppleton;
and the son of Richard Hutton, Esq., and his wife Dorothy, daughter
of Ferdinand Viscount Fairfax, Baron of Cameron in Scotland and Denton
in Yorkshire. "Mr. Richard Hutton and Beatrix Sale" were married
at Calverley Church, October 27th 1682. Mr. Hutton was buried there
July 28th 1708, and his widow was buried July 23rd 1709. They were buried
in the south aisle, and their broken tombstone is near to the tombstone
of Mr. Sale.
Richard HUTTON, Esq., of Pudsey, son of the above-named Richard Hutton,
married at Hopton, Mary, the daughter of the Rev. Richard Thorpe, one
of the ejected ministers, a man of property, and then a nonconformist
minister at Hopton. This Mrs. Mary Hutton, of Pudsey, died in 1723,
and was buried at Calverley Church, December 14th.
Richard THORNTON, Esq., of Tiersal, Pudsey, was Recorder of Leeds, and
a celebrated antiquary. THORESBY, in his History of Leeds, styles him
"the learned, ingenious, and pious Richard Thornton, Esq., the
excellent Recorder of Leeds, Heir male of the ancient Family of the
Thorntons, of Thornton and Tyersall, whose noble collection of manuscripts
has been of singular advantage unto me in this undertaking, and yet
the benefit received from his personal instruction and assistance has
been infinitely more." Then follows a full pedigree of the family.
He died in October, 1710, aged 51, and was buried at St. John's Church,
Leeds. He had a son, John Thornton, Esq., of Tyersall, who was also
a merchant at Hamburgh.
Richard HEY, drysalter of Pudsey, was the son of John Hey, of Pudsey,
and was born in the year 1702. He married Mary, the daughter and co-heiress
of Mr. Jacob Simpson, a surgeon in Leeds, whose father was a physician
in Wakefield. She was descended from the Sykes family, and the pedigree
of the family may be seen in THORESBY'S History of Leeds, and also may
that of Mr. Hey's family, at page 3. It is recorded that Mr. And Mrs.
Hey paid such attention to the instilling of good principles, that very
serious offences among their children were rare, and whilst he impressed
upon his children, with peculiar energy, his own nice sense of right
and wrong, he intermixed with it a degree of prudential consideration.
His strict integrity was so well known that he was frequently spoken
of as "Honest Mr. Hey." He was a zealous Churchman, and paid
much respect to the clergy, and he contributed liberally towards increasing
the endowment of the Old Chapel of Pudsey, in 1733. His illness must
have been of short duration, as I find that he attended a town's committee
meeting as overseer of the poor, on the 1st of the same month. Mrs.
Hey died on the 19th of May, 1768. They had a family of eight children,
and all their sons who lived to manhood received honourable titles,
and became eminent men in their several spheres of labour. Their children
were:-- 1st, Rebecca, bap. March 10, 1730-1, who married the Rev. William
Holmes, vicar of Thorner, curate of Knottingley and Ferry Fryston, and
Master of the Free School at Pontefract. 2nd, Richard, bap. Sep., 1732,
who died young. 3rd, John Hey, D.D., bap. Aug. 1, 1734. 4th, William
Hey, F.R.S., bap Aug. 16, 1736. 5th, Samuel Hey, M.A., bap. March 28,
1739. 6th, Dorothy, bap. April 9, 1741, who married Mr. John Radcliffe,
of Pudsey, drysalter. 7th, Sarah, bap. April 15, 1743, who married Mr.
John Sharp, of Gildersome, drysalter. 8th, Richard Hey, L.L.D., bap.
In September 1745.
John HEY, D.D., the second, but eldest surviving son of Mr. Richard
Hey, of Pudsey, was born in July, 1734, and when between nine and ten
years of age was sent, along with his younger brother William, to an
academy at Heath, near Wakefield, which was superintended by a gentleman
of highly respectable character, and an eminent mathematician, Mr. Joseph
Randall, who conducted it upon a large and liberal, though somewhat
expensive plan. The Rev. Dr. Dodgson, afterwards Bishop of Elphin, and
the Rev. Mr. Sedgewick, afterwards headmaster of the Free Grammar School
at Leeds, were classical tutors. When seventeen years of age, in 1751,
he went to the University at Cambridge, where he was admitted of Katherine
Hall, and he continued a member of that college till 1758, when he removed
to a Fellowship in Sidney Sussex College, of which college he continued
a member till he quitted the University in 1795. We may form some estimate
of the assiduity with which he pursued his studies when we are informed
that before he was twenty-one years of age he had taken his degree of
B.A. of Katherine Hall; and when twenty-four his degree of M.A. of Sidney
College, viz., in 1758. He took the degree of B.D. in 1765, and D.D.
in 1780. But in 1775 he performed his exercise for his doctor's degree,
in which he gave (says his brother Richard) an instance of that mode
of disputation which is not usual, and is called a Public Act. He was
a tutor of Sidney College from 1760 to 1779, and he was one of the preachers
of His Majesty's Chapel at Whitehall. Lord Maynard offered him the rectory
of Pasenham, in Northamptonshire, near Stony Stratford, which he accepted
and immediately vacated his Fellowship in Sidney College. Not long afterwards,
he obtained the adjoining rectory of Calverton, Bucks, by exchange for
one offered to him by the Earl of Clarendon, Chancellor of the Duchy
of Lancaster. In 1780, he was elected the first Norrisian Professor
of Divinity in the University. In 1785, and again in 1790, the professorship
vacant by the will of the founder, Mr. Norris, and he was each time
re-elected. In 1795, he ceased to be a professor, being to old, by the
will, to be re-elected, and having declined to vacate the professorship,
in 1794, in order to be re-elected within the prescribed age. When tutor
in Sidney College, he gave lectures on Morality, which were attended
by several persons voluntarily (amongst whom were the great statesman,
Mr. Pitt, and other persons of rank), besides to those pupils whose
attendance was required. These lectures on Morality have not been printed,
but his lectures on Divinity are before the public, having been printed
at the University Press, 1796 to 1798, and, published in four volumes,
octavo. These lectures have passed through three editions; the last
edition was published in 1841, and was edited by Bishop Turton, of Ely.
In 1811 he printed - without publishing - "General Observations
on the Writings of St. Paul." On an application for a copy of the
latter work, made to him through a nephew (Mr. Sharp), the author wrote
the following peculiar answer, a copy of which I have in the hand-writing
of the applicant -
Mr. Dodd does me Honor; but I think you must tell him that I do not
publish, or take money for my Observations on St. Paul, being unwilling
to unsettle any one's notions: that I have printed only a small number,
and at a very considerable Expence, and so am obliged to be very stingy
of my copies, and to lay down Rules to myself about the Disposal of
them. One is not to give a Copy to any one who can easily borrow one.
Now; as Mr. Dodd lives in London, he might, by using my name, borrow
a Copy of Mr. Richard Twining, Junior, No. 34 Norfolk Street, Strand.
I give to no Bishop, to no Curate, to no Female (Mrs. West excepted,
for particular Reasons, and as an Authoress), to no Young Person in
a Course of Education, to no Calvinist, semi or quarter Calvinist, to
no one without his consenting to hazard his principles - and so on.
In 1812, he published a pamphlet entitled -
"Remarks on a Bill in Parliament respecting Parish Registers, "and
at page 22 he refers to the "village of Pudsey, where is a capital
Establishment of Moravians; besides several thousands of inhabitants
of all denominations."
In the year 1814; he divested himself of the whole of his ecclesiastical
preferments, which were merely the two livings mentioned before. He
removed to London in October, having resigned the living at Calverton
at Lady Day, and Passenham on the 10th of October. From that time he
continued in London, until his death; growing feeble in body, till,
without painful disease, he sunk under that feebleness, retaining to
the last a soundness of mind, and giving to every business that came
before him a remarkable degree of that careful attention, which had
evidently been with him a matter of strict duty throughout a long course
of years. He died on the 17th of March 1815, aged eighty years, and
was buried in the burial-ground of St. John's Chapel, St. John's Wood,
Marylebone, in which parish he died.
William HEY, Esq., F.R.S., an eminent surgeon, of Leeds, was the second
surviving son of Mr. Richard HEY, of Pudsey, and was born in August
1736. At seven years of age, he was sent to school near Wakefield, along
with his elder brother John, and during the seven years that he remained
at school, he applied himself to his studies with great diligence and
industry, and thus acquired a vast amount of useful knowledge. He displayed
a great love of learning and science, which increased with his years,
and was conspicuous through every subsequent period of his life. At
fourteen years of age, he was apprenticed to a surgeon and apothecary
at Leeds, where he acquitted himself with great credit. In 1759, he
commenced the exercise of his profession in Leeds, and slowly and gradually
rose to the very highest position, as a skilful surgeon, a Christian
philanthropist, and a worthy citizen. In scientific matters, he was
intimately associated with Dr. Priestley, on whose recommendation he
was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 1775. He took a very active
part in the formation of the Leeds Infirmary, and was appointed one
of the surgeons, an office which he held for forty-five years, thirty-nine
of which he was the senior surgeon. On the formation of a Leeds Philosophical
Society in 1783, Mr. Hey was elected president, and read many valuable
papers to the members. In 1786, he was elected an alderman of the borough
of Leeds, and in the following year was appointed Mayor. He was again
elected Mayor in 1802. This eminent man died on the 23rd of March, 1819,
full of honours, and at the advanced age of 83. He was buried at St.
Paul's Church, Leeds, and his funeral was attended by a great number
of friends and fellow-townsmen. The death of Mr. Hey was an event deeply
felt and sincerely lamented throughout the borough of Leeds. A full
length marble statue of Mr. Hey (by Chantrey) was afterwards erected
by the subscriptions of his fellow-townsmen, and is placed in the Leeds
Samuel HEY, M.A., was the brother of the preceding Hey's. He was born
on the 16th of March, 1739, and was educated at Cambridge, where he
attained his B.A.,, and afterwards, his M.A., degrees. He was elected
Fellow and Tutor of Magdalene College, Cambridge. He was afterwards
vicar of Steeple Ashton, in Wiltshire; and Dr. Whitaker says of him,
that he was "an excellent parish priest." He left a benefaction
of £50 to the Leeds Infirmary, with this condition attached to
it, that the Church minister at Pudsey should for ever have a right
to recommend patients, equal to a subscriber of two guineas annually.
Richard HEY, Esq., L.L.D., was the youngest son of Mr. Richard Hey,
of Pudsey. He was born on the 22nd of August, 1745. He, too, like his
other brothers, was educated at Cambridge, and when twenty-two years
of age, took his degree of B.A., as third wrangler of Magdalene College,
obtaining also the Chancellor's first gold medal and the Smith Prize.
Three years afterwards he took his M.A., of Sidney College, and in the
same years, viz., 1771, in November, he was called to the Bar, in the
Middle Temple; and with a view to the practice at Doctors' Commons,
he took the degree of L.L.D., in December, 1778, of Sidney Sussex College;
and he obtained in the same year the fiat of the Archbishop of Canterbury
for his admission into Doctors' Commons. However, as a barrister he
did not succeed, so he retired from the Bar. He was a Fellow and Tutor
of Sidney Sussex College till 1778; and afterwards of Magdalene College
from 1782 to 1796. He was also elected one of the Esquire Bedells. He
married the daughter of Thomas Brown, Esq., of Hatfield, Herts, Garter-Principal
King-at-Arms, who died without issue. He died on December 7th, 1835,
at Heringfordbury, near Hertford, in the 91st year of his age, being
the last surviving son of Mr. Richard Hey, of Pudsey.
John RYLEY was an eminent mathematician, and was teacher of mathematics,
etc., at Leeds, for a long period of years. He was born at All-Cotes,
Pudsey, on the 30th of November, 1747. He received at an early age such
a common education as the school of his native village afforded, and
was afterwards employed at home, in the joint occupation of husbandman
and cloth manufacturer; spending his leisure hours diligently in the
stuffy of the various branches of mathematical science. So assiduous
and successful was his application, that he was sufficiently qualified
for engaging as mathematical teacher at the Drighlington Grammar School,
a situation which he held with great credit for upwards of a year; then,
yielding to the solicitations of his friends, he opened a school at
Pudsey, where he received a good share of that encouragement which his
abilities entitled him to expect. He afterwards obtained an excellent
situation as schoolmaster at Beeston, where he remained for thirteen
years, and won the respect of all who were brought in contact with him.
In 1789, the situation of head-master of the Charity School in Leeds
became vacant, and Mr. Ryley, being highly recommended for the position,
received the appointment, and held it with distinguished ability until
his death, which took place on the 24th of April, 1815, in the 69th
year of his age. He was one of the originators and the first editor
of a "Literary, Mathematical, and Philosophical Miscellany,"
called "The Leeds Correspondent," until his death. He also
compiled a "History of Leeds and the Neighbouring Villages,"
published in 1808.
John EDWARDS was born at Fulneck, Pudsey, on December 5th, 1772. He
was the son of a shoemaker, and when young learned the trade of a shalloon
weaver. He removed to Derby, where he was engaged in the spirit trade.
He was an estimable man and a pleasing poet. His first publication was
"All Saints' Church, Derby," a blank verse composition, 1805;
his next - "The Tour of the Dove; or, a Visit to Dovedale,"
published in 1821. Smaller pieces appeared from his pen afterwards,
as "Recollections of Filey," etc.
Rev. Joseph SUTCLIFFE, M.A., an eminent Wesleyan minister, was a working
man at Pudsey, when at twenty-two years of age, he was in 1784 appointed
a class-leader and local preacher, and in 1786 he was sent from Pudsey
by Mr. Wesley to labour in the Redruth circuit. He was a useful and
honoured Wesleyan minister for the long period of seventy years, and
died May 14th, 1856, aged 94 years. He had creditable literary attainments,
was an excellent grammarian, an admirable sermonizer, a pious and intelligent
commentator, and a respectable geologist. He was the author of several
Rev. Michael MAURICE, Junr. - In the Old Chapel graveyard (All Saints',
Pudsey) there is a tomb-stone to mark the resting-place of a "Mr.
Maurice, an orthodox dissenting minister." This was the father
of Michael Maurice, who was a man of real worth. Michael Maurice was
born at Pudsey in the year 1767. His father, it is said, was a man of
serious mind, and his son's preparation for the ministry was made under
a deep sense of responsibility.
Mr. Maurice's first settlement as a minister was at Great Yarmouth;
but it does not appear that his stay here was long, for soon after the
Birmingham riots, when Dr. Priestley had to fly for his life to London,
Mr. Maurice was invited to take the afternoon duty at the Gravel Pit
Chapel, Hackney, and he soon became intimately associated with the great
Dr. Priestley. It is mentioned as an interesting fact in his history,
that he assisted the Dr. in packing his books and philosophical apparatus
when the latter took farewell of his ungrateful country. Mr. Maurice
did not remain with the Hackney congregation long after Dr. Priestley's
departure for America. He removed to Kirby, where he opened a school,
which proved most successful. But in this secluded place there was no
temple in which he could consistently worship. - At this little village
was born, in the year 1805, his son Frederick D. Maurice, who became
the great Professor Maurice, of King's College, London. Professor Maurice
is the author of many valuable works on theology and metaphysics, his
great work - "The Religions of the World", still keeps its
place in the literature of England. From Kirby, for what reason does
not appear, Mr. Maurice went to Lowestoft, in Suffolk, a town of little
promise, yet connected with the gloomy early history of Crabbe, the
poet, and of which the upright though eccentric Whiston was once vicar.
Mr. Maurice's predecessor in the Lowestoft pulpit was the learned and
amiable Thomas Scott, the poetical translator of the book of Job. Here
Mr. Maurice spent several years of usefulness, but in 1815 he was chosen
minister to the small but respectable congregation at Frenchey, a pretty
hamlet near Bristol. The chapel at Frenchey stood on a pleasant common,
though there were many genteel houses in the vicinity of the chapel.
In this beautiful retirement, with plenty of work to do, Mr. Maurice
stayed till the year 1824. His son, F.D. Maurice, who was a man of great
learning, married twice, and both times remarkably gifted women. The
first was sister to John Sterling; the poet; the second was a sister
to Sterling's friend Hare, and was also a lady very distinguished in
the literary world. Mr. Michael Maurice's other children went with him
to Sidmouth, Southampton, Reading, and final to London. It is said that
Mr. Maurice was a fine speaker, and had a remarkable command of language.
It is also said he was always heard with pleasure as a preacher. Mr.
Maurice was a thorough advocate of civil and religious equality. He
was associated with Clarkson and Macaulay (the father of Lord Macaulay,
the historian), in their work of slavery abolition. Among his friends
in the world of literature were Mrs. Barbauld, Coleridge, Samuel Rogers,
Dr. Price, and others. He lived a good life and was a man of high culture,
with an open mind for all good, and retained his mental faculties to
the last. He died near London in 1855, at the advanced age of eighty-eight.
* This notice is contributed by Mr. Thompson, of Pudsey
Lepton DOBSON Esq., of Grove House, Pudsey, occupied with distinguished
honour the position of Mayor of Leeds in 1821. It was during his mayoralty
that it was resolved to pull down the Middle Row in Briggate. It was
Mr. Dobson who succeeded, after others had failed, in laying the foundation
of an agreement with the Vicar of Leeds, which led to the institution
of the Free Market in Vicar's Croft, which PARSON'S History of Leeds
says, was "one of the most signal and beneficial improvements every
accomplished in the town of Leeds." The first stone of the Central
Market in Duncan Street, Leeds, was laid by Lepton Dobson, on the 26th
November, 1824, as also was that of the Commercial Buildings, on May
18th, 1826. One of the ancestors of Lepton Dobson was
Joseph LEPTON, who also deserves a place in our list of eminent townsmen.
He was one of the first trustees of the Nonconformist Chapel, erected
in 1709, at the top of Chapeltown, Pudsey, and he left by Will, dated
1715, a field, called Dick Royd in Pudsey, the rent of which, after
deducting $3 a year for a dissenting minister settled in Pudsey, was
to be given to the poor who do not receive parish relief. He was brother-in-law
to Richard Hey, drysalter, having married Dorothy, the daughter of Mr.
John Hey, of Pudsey. He died in 1716, at Little Gomersal, having appointed
John Hey, of Pudsey, his father-in-law, and Jonas Thornton, of Horton,
Lieut. John CARR, a native of Pudsey, born June 2nd, 1798. When seventeen
years of age, he joined the army, and rose from the ranks to be Lieutenant
and Adjutant of the 2nd Regiment of Life Guards; was personally complimented
for his abilities in maneuvering troops by His Majesty the King. Served
in the Life Guards for the space of twenty-four years in the most zealous
and exemplary manner. Died from the result of an accident, much respected,
June 6th, 1839, aged 41 years, and was interred in the Holy Trinity
Church, Brompton, London.
Samuel RYLEY, mathematician, was the son of Mr. Joseph Ryley, of All-Cotes,
Pudsey. He was born in 1783, and from his boyhood took the greatest
interest in arithmetical and mathematical studies. He was instructed
by his uncle Mr. John Ryley, and showed himself a worth pupil. He contributed
to some of the mathematical periodicals of his time. He died on the
16th of May, 1847, aged 64 years, and was buried in the burial ground
of Pudsey Church.
William HUGGAN, was born in 1802, and after learning the art of cloth-making,
carried on a successful business during a long life. In township matters
he was a faithful public servant, for at various times, through a long
period of years, he filled local offices with credit to himself and
satisfaction to his fellow townsmen. Every movement which had for its
object the improvement of society, the extension of freedom, whether
civil or religious, had his countenance and hearty support. Institutions
for the diffusion of knowledge and the spread of instruction amongst
the young were benefited by his liberal and generous donations. He will
be long remembered, not only for the many sterling qualities he consistently
exhibited, his unswerving adherence to principle, and the unblemished
character he maintained, but also for his high sense of public duties
and the obligations of the citizen, all of which he discharged in an
honourable and worthy manner. He held the office of overseer of the
poor for many years, and previously had held the office of guardian
for several years, and for the three years prior to his death he was
one of the councilors of the Bramley Ward in the Leeds Town Council.
Mr. Huggan died on the 6th day of December, 1869, and was interred at
the Independent Methodist Chapel, Lowtown, Pudsey.
The Right Rev. Charles Parsons REICHEL, was born at Fulneck, in 1816.
He was the son of a Moravian minister, but his ancestors have been,
with the above exception, Lutheran clergymen, so far back as the Thirty
Years' War. In 1835 he became a member of the University of Berlin,
where he studied Hebrew, Syriac, and Arabic, together with Ecclesiastical
History and New Testament Exegesis. In 1838 he returned to England,
and graduated at Trinity College, Dublin, where he gained a classical
scholarship, and took a gold medal in Greek, first Hebrew premium at
seven examinations, and was first in the first class at the final Divinity
examination in 1846. He was then ordained deacon in 1847; appointed
to a curacy at St. Mary's, Dublin, which he resigned three years afterwards
on being appointed Professor of Latin at Queen's College, Belfast. In
1854 he was chosen Donnellan Lecturer at Dublin University. These lectures
are now out of print, and he has been Select Preacher at the Universities
of Oxford, Cambridge, and Dublin; in the latter University holding the
office twice. In 1856 he was created D.D. by the University of Dublin,
and in 1864 accepted the vicarage of Mullingar at the hands of the Crown,
where he remained until he was transferred to Trim and the Archdeaconry
of Meath in 1875. Dr. Reichel was appointed Dean of Clonmacnois, and
he acted as Commissioner for his Grace, the Lord Primate, in which capacity
he carried on the affairs of the diocese of Meath, in the interregnum
that elapsed after the death of Dr. Butcher, and at the election of
Dr. Plunket, now Lord Archbishop of Dublin, the present Bishop himself
received a large number of votes, especially from the laity. On Lord
Plunket's election of 1885, Dr. Reichel was elected to the See. He was
one of the three Select Preachers at the late Church Congress at Wakefield.
*This sketch has been contributed by the Rev. R.V. Taylor, B.A. See
also sketches of Dr. Reichel in Church Bells, No. 721, and Men of the
John T. BEER, F.S.A.S., F.R.S.T., Threapland House, Pudsey. He was born
at Whitstable, in Kent, in the year 1825, and received his early training
in the British School of that place. At twelve years of age he was removed
to Maidstone, and began working life as an errand boy, subsequently
learning the trade of a tailor with his father. He worked at his trade
in London, and as a foreman at Retford and Sheffield, and while in Retford
was married to a daughter of Mr. William Pennington, a worthy burgess
of that ancient borough. In 1857, he commenced business on his own account
in Leeds, at the instigation of the late Dr. Punshon. During his business
career, he devoted much attention to studies of an intellectual character,
and was frequently engaged giving lectures on physiological, scientific,
and equally solid subjects. Poetry also, found in him a devoted admirer,
and he wooed the Muse himself on may occasions. +
Mr. Beer was connected with the Cambridge University Extension scheme
on its introduction into Leeds, and was the President of the Students'
Union during the three years of its existence. Before this Union he
gave lectures on the Transit of Venus, Comets and Shooting Stars, and
the Moon. He is also President of the Bradford Scientific Association;
before which he has lectured on "Changes in the Coast-line of Kent,"
the "Motions of the Moon," "Past and present History
of the Moon," "Solar Physics," etc. He has also been
engaged for many years in pursuits of an antiquarian character, having
thereby acquired an important and valuable collection of Roman and other
pottery, coins, old china, rare books, etc. Mr. Beer has been untiring
in his efforts on behalf of the Mechanics' Institute and other associations,
religious and philanthropic, of Pudsey. For upwards of twenty years
Mr. Beer has been closely connected with the Wesleyan Church in Pudsey,
formerly as a local preacher, and since, as the teacher of the Adult
Class which at the present time numbers over forty members. In 1871,
he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature, and also
of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland.
+ For list of Mr. Beer's writings, see Chapter on the Bibliography
John NAYLOR, Mus. Doc., Oxford. This talented musician was born at Stanningley,
at which time his father was clerk of St. Paul's Church, Leeds (a very
important position forty years ago). It is said of the elder Naylor
that "he possessed a fine, rich-toned bass voice, with which he
used to astonish the congregation occasionally, when holding out the
low note in one of the responses or the Amens. He was a good-natured,
genial man, and his company was much sought after by music-loving friends.
Young Naylor received his earliest musical training as a choir-boy at
the Parish Church, Leeds; the first year and a half of which time Dr.
S.S. Wesley was the organist. He was afterwards deputy-organist there
until 1856, when, at seventeen and a half years of age, he was appointed
by Dr. Whiteside to the organistship and choirmastership of the parish
church of Scarborough. This position he held until 1873, when he was
appointed organist of All Saints', Scarborough; and in 1883 he was promoted
to the valuable and much-coveted post of organist and choirmaster of
Nelson VARLEY was born in 1846, the son of Richard Varley, of Stanningley.
He was apprenticed in his youth to Mr. Nicholson, organ builder, of
Bradford, but long before his indentures were out, he had shown himself
to be possessed of a tenor voice of fine quality and power. Encouraged
by some friends at Bradford, Mr. Varley, on the expiration of his apprenticeship,
was taken in hand by Chevalier Lemmens, to whom he engaged himself for
five years, and under whose direction he was first introduced to the
public at the Crystal Palace, with a success which was in the highest
degree gratifying. He accompanied Madame Sherrington and a "concert
party" through the provincial towns four or five years in succession,
and both in the country and in London made good his early promise. Mr.
Varley also accompanied Madame Rudersdorf to America, where his success
was even greater than in England. After being in America rather more
than a year, he returned to this country, and, with his wife (Mdlle.
Theresa Liebe), fulfilled many successful engagements. Mr. Varley died
at Cardiff, on the 2nd of December, 1883, at the age of 37.
Robert SALTER. Born in 1817 in very humble circumstances, the subject
of our sketch became one of the brightest examples of the class of citizens
who raise themselves from obscurity to positions of wealth and respect.
He was a man of almost retiring disposition; shunned all ostentation,
but he had great business tact and ability, and those qualities of honesty
and integrity, which build up a solid and permanent commercial concern.
His prosperity and great success in business did not, as is too often
the case, harden his heart, or tighten his purse strings, for, throughout
his life, he had a large tender heart and a generous disposition, which
prompted him to do many a benevolent action unknown to those around
him. In 1854 Mr. Salter commenced business with Mr. W.D. Scales, in
Pudsey, the purchase money of the business being $300, a large proportion
of which was borrowed. This was during the time of the Crimean War,
and for three years trade was very bad, and after this lapse of time
the firm found they had not a penny left. Thanks to their honourable
business transactions, this time of trial and difficulty was overcome,
and a change for the better took place. The firm grew and prospered,
and ultimately became one of the largest firms in the county in the
wholesale boot and shoe trade. Much of this success was due to Mr. Salter,
whose integrity, knowledge, skill and energy in the mechanical department
had no small share in building up the very extensive and successful
business of this important firm. Mr. Salter was a Liberal in politics,
and a Congregationalist in religion. He was elected a member of the
first Local Board of Health in Pudsey, but resigned his seat on his
removal to Underwood Villa, Rawden, in 1875. He was thrice married, and left a widow and a son, Mr. Joseph Salter, the Oaks, Newlay; and
daughter, Mrs. Driver, Croft House, Rickardshaw Lane; and two grandsons,
children of a son who had been dead several years.
John Holmes WALKER, C.E., was the only son of Mr. Joseph Walker, chemist,
of Pudsey, and was born in 1855. From a child he was devoted to study
and learning. He evinced great aptitude for scientific knowledge ---
sanitary engineering, electricity, and cognate subjects being favourite
objects of study with him. After a successful school life, he was articled
to a civil engineer, and pursued his scientific studies in the evening.
He eventually qualified himself as a civil engineer, and became an Associate
of the Society of Engineers. He became one of the most active members
of the Bradford Scientific Association, frequently reading papers before
that body, one of the ablest being on "Various forces of energy."
When 21 years old, he was the second out of 108 candidates, in an examination
(twenty subjects) for the position of Assistant Civil Engineer to the
Admiralty, and was informed that had he been five years older, he would
have received the appointment. He subsequently was appointed electrical
engineer to Messrs. Bower and Son, St. Neots. In a short time afterwards
he fell a victim to excessive study and overwork, and at 24 years of
age the bright promise of a very clever and useful life was for every
eclipsed. He lingered for five years in deep mental affliction, and
died on Sunday, the 11th of April, 1866, deeply regretted by every one
who knew him and esteemed him, for his kind and good nature, as well
as for his brilliant mental qualities.
John Hyland CLOUGH. This gentleman was born at Fulneck in 1814, and
commenced business as a grocer at Horsforth in 1840. Here he occupied
a seat on the Board of Guardians, and was much respected. He went to
Stockton in 1855, where he commenced business as a provision merchant,
and was prosperous. He took a warm interest in the progress and welfare
of his adopted town, and for seventeen years represented the South-West
Ward in the Town Council. In November, 1876, he was elected Mayor of
the borough. Mr. Clough departed this life on the 23rd day of April,
Richard WOMERSLEY. As a public servant, this gentleman held a deservedly
high position, and at his death, which took place on the 13th of December
1878, Pudsey lost one of its most useful inhabitants. He filled at various
times several offices in the management of the business of the town,
both with credit to himself and advantage to the township. He was the
first chairman of the Burial Board, and took a most active part in securing
the new cemetery. For a long time he served on the directorate of the
Gas, Water, and other local Companies, where his sound judgment and
strict integrity always commanded respect. He was one of the two trustees
of the Christmas dole, known as Lepton's Charity, which is given to
the poor annually. He was well-known as a moderate Liberal in politics,
and took an active part in both local and general political organisations.
In religion he was a Congregationalist, and took an active interest
in the formation of the Congregational Day School, Greenside, in 1853,
and was one of its principal supporters until it was transferred to
the School Board. He was also a trustee, and for a long period the treasurer,
of the Congregational Church. Mr. Womersley was born at Hill Foot, in
Calverley, in 1813.
P.A. STRICKLAND, A.C.O., though not a native of Pudsey, was so much
connected with the town and its music, that no apology need be offered
for this brief memoir. He was born at Farsley on July 13th, 1858, and
was the eldest son of Mr. Abraham Strickland of that village. His father
being a musician, young Peter early became acquainted with the rudiments
of the art, and evinced a great desire to learn more. When he was eleven
years of age, he was admitted as a chorister at St. Thomas Church, Stanningley,
under the late Mr. Joseph Varley Roberts, brother of Dr. Roberts, now
organist of Christ Church, Oxford. Two years later, Mr. Abraham Strickland
was appointed Choirmaster at St. Paul's Church, Pudsey and Peter went
to join his father. In a very short time he became the principal treble
singer, and could without difficulty sing solos from most of the oratorios.
In 1874, when he was only 15 years of age, he began to compose music,
his hymn tunes - one in particular - being often sung in the church.
He knew nothing of the theory of harmony at this time, yet the harmony
of the favourite tune was so good, that it was not found possible to
improve upon it in later years. He had been for some time learning the
organ, under the able tutorship of F.W. Hird, Esq., (then organist of
St. Peter's, Bramley), and made such progress that he received the appointment
of organist at Rodley Mission Church. He also studied the pianoforte,
and became so proficient that his services were very much in request
for local concerts, etc. In 1878, when seventeen years of age, he left
the Mission Church to devote the whole of his time to music, and succeeding
in obtaining the position of organist at the Wesleyan Chapel, Stanningley,
which post he held four years, when he was promoted to Rawden Church.
At the Society of Arts Examination in July 1882, he was awarded first-class
Certificates for organ and pianoforte playing, and took a Second-class
Honors Certificate. In 1883, he entered the examination of the College
of Organists, London, and on July 20th of that year, received his diploma
as an Associate. In the same year he was appointed, after competition,
to succeed Mr. A. Renton, an organist and choirmaster at Pudsey Parish
Church, and he held the position up to his death. In 1883, also, he
was made conductor of the Pudsey Choral Union. He was the composer of
a large number of hymn tunes and choruses, which have been published
and well received. Besides these, he has left, in manuscript, at least
forty part-songs, duets, songs, etc. Three of the principal published
songs are "Love for Evermore," "Years may come and years
may go," and "Something More," the words of each of these
being supplied by the well-known writer, Edward Oxenford. Two dramatic
cantatas "The Crusaders," and "The Knight's Guerdon,"
both works of some promise, were unfortunately left unfinished.
In 1883, a tumour grew on his left arm, which, though brought before
several medical men, grew worse. He was recommended to go to St. George's
Hospital, London, where on April 18th, 1884, the limb was amputated.
The shock proved too much for him, and he died a few hours after the
operation, at the early age of 25. His remains were brought to Pudsey
and interred in the cemetery. About 400 persons, including 40 of his
pupils, took part in the funeral; full choral services, with the assistance
of the Pudsey Choral Society, were held in the Parish Church and at
the grave. His happiest moments were when he was composing, and he thought
little of losing his arm, being confident of making his living as a
composer. His death was much regretted. A fine monument has been erected
- by subscription - to his memory. *
* This sketch has been contributed my Mr. S. Kirkwood of Stanningley
R. Machill GARTH. - This promising musician was born at Pudsey on the
15th day of October, 1860, his parents being descended from two old
and well-known Pudsey families, viz., the Garths of Lowtown and the
Machills of Ratcliff House. Young Garth received his early training
at the Free Grammar School, Batley, and was a chorister boy at the old
church there for two years, when between seven and nine years of age.
When only nine years old, he officiated as organist at Batley Church,
on the resignation of Mr. Wilkinson, but some time afterwards he became
organist at Carlinghow mission church, St. Jame's. He was subsequently
appointed as pianist at the Literary and Philosophical Exhibition, Middlesbrough
(1873), during which period he was also organist and choirmaster of
St. Martin's, and sub-organist of St. Paul's, Middlesbrough. When eighteen
years of age, Master Garth was appointed sub-organist of St. Mary's
Cathedral, Edinburgh, which post he held for six years, and during two
of these years, he also held the posts of private organist to the Right
Hon. Sir Molyneux H. Nepean, and the Hon. Sir Edward Colebrooke, Bt.,
M.P. In January 1885, Mr. Garth was appointed to his present position,
as private organist to the Right Hon. Sir Michael Shaw Steward of Ardgowan.
For this post there were many applicants, and these were submitted to
a contest at the Edinburgh University, with Professor Sir Herbert Oakley,
Composer Royal, Scotland, as adjudicator. In September 1885, Mr. Garth
was elected a Fellow of the Educational Institute of Scotland, a society
incorporated by Royal Charter in 1841. Mr. Garth was of the selected
organists who gave recitals on the grand organ at the Edinburgh Exhibition
in 1886. He also wrote the Grand March for the Royal Review in 1881.
Mr. Garth has contributed many popular and pleasing compositions to
the musical literature of the country. His first composition, at the
age of ten, was a set of waltzes, and at eighteen, he published a song,
"The Heaving of the Lead," which is very popular in his native
county. The work, however, to which we would desire more particularly
to refer, is his oratoria, Ezekiel, in forth-three numbers, which has
been lately completed, and which has occupied a year and a half to write.
The Scottish Guardian, speaking of the first performance of this work,
The libretto of the oratorio was compiled by the Rev. C.R. Linton. Both
subject and scheme are admirably adapted for effective musical illustration,
and the united labours of Compiler and Composer have resulted in a work
decidedly origin in character, containing not a few striking passages,
and abounding almost to excess in charming melodies.
During the many years in which England was engaged in the great war,
which ended at the ever memorable Field of Waterloo, it is somewhat
interesting to learn that Pudsey contributed a fair contingent to those
who bravely fought and bled in upholding the honour of their country
on many a blood field.
George LORYMAN served in the 7th Royal Fusiliers, and was in 19 engagements,
viz., Copenhagen (Denmark), Martinique (West Indies), Busaco and Burlado
(Portugal), Albuhera, Aldcade Port, Cindad Rodrigo, Badajoz, Fonte du
Luy, Salamanca, Mountela, Vittoria, Roncevalles, Pampeluna, Escurial,
and Lauze (Spain), Orthes and Toulouse (France) and New Orleans (America).
Had a medal with seven clasps and had, the last few years of his life,
a pension of 7d. a day. Died at Pudsey, May 15th, 1860, aged 75.
James GIBSON was in the 7th Royal Fusiliers, and was some time a Sergeant;
went through the Peninsular Campaign, and was at most of the engagements
mentioned above. Had two medals with three clasps for Albuhera, Busaco,
and Talavera. Had a pension of 1s. a day. Died at Pudsey, July 30th,
1864, aged 84.
Henry WILCOCK was in the militia from 1807 to 1812, when he joined
the Grenadier Guards. Went through Spain and Portugal with Wellington,
was at the battles of Nive and Nivelle, and was slightly wounded at
Waterloo. He was also one of those who were chosen from the guards as
the best and steadiest men to form the Duke of Wellington's guard in
Paris, in 1815. Was discharged in 1819, without a pension. In 1854 had
a pension of 6d. a day granted, which was increased to 9d. a few months
before his death. Died at Pudsey, February 26th, 1862, aged 73.
William VARLEY, born at Pudsey in 1793, was in the 2nd W.Y. militia
from 1809 to 1812, when he was made a Corporal in the renowned 33rd
Regt. Of Foot, the "Havercake Lads," as they were called in
Yorkshire. Was in the following engagements: At Marksom, in Holland,
the siege of Antwerp, the storming of Bergen op Zoom and the three days
at Waterloo, where he was slightly wounded on the third day; was discharged
in 1819, without a pension. Varley died September the 11th, 1872.
William GLOVER, of Lowtown, born at Morley, was in the Militia from
1810 to 1811, when he entered the 30th Regt. of Foot; was engaged in
the Rolohas Valleys, at Rodrigo, Badajos, Salamanca, where he was wounded;
at Burgos, Vittoria, Pampeluna, the Pyrenees, Orthes, Nive, Neville,
Toulouse, and Laville. Had a medal with six clasps, and a pension of
9d. a day.
John BOOCOCK was in the 33rd Regt. and was killed at Bergen op Zoom,
March 10th, 1814.
Joshua WHEATER was in the 33rd Regt., was wounded at Bergen op Zoom,
and died from the effects, March 31st, 1814.