calverley

© CalverleyInfo 2001-2012 - all rights reserved. This page last updated November 1, 2012

Pudsey Mt Zion Methodist New Connection Church Records

 

 

This movement started in Pudsey in 1818, with open-air meetings in Fartown, Pudsey, conducted by preachers from Ebenezer Chapel, Leeds. In 1825, Mt Zion Chapel was built and opened at a cost of £450. In 1840, ground was purchased for a burial ground and the site of a new chapel.
The foundation stone of the new chapel at Bankhouse Lane was laid April 2nd 1872, and the chapel opened April 9th 1873. Two of the most prominent members of the church were William Boyes, born 29th July 1793, who married Mary, daughter of John Robinson, of Rastrick. William Boyes died 22nd September 1844, and John Shaw, born 25th March 1814, son of James and Martha Shaw, of Pudsey. John Shaw died 10th November 1879. The chapel became registered as a place for the solemnisation of marriages in August 1884.